Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Muscular Dystrophy Association and ALS

What is Muscular Dystrophy?

Muscular dystrophy (MD) is a genetic disorder that weakens the muscles that help the body move. People with MD have incorrect or missing information in their genes, which prevents them from making the proteins they need for healthy muscles. Because MD is genetic, people are born with the problem — it's not contagious and you can't catch it from someone who has it.

MD weakens muscles over time, so children, teens, and adults who have the disease can gradually lose the ability to do the things most people take for granted, like walking or sitting up. Someone with MD might start having muscle problems as a baby or their symptoms might start later. Some people even develop MD as adults. (From: kidshealth.org)


For the past couple years, I've helped donate to the Muscular Dystrophy Association by participating in their Lock-up (unfortunately the site is closed until they start up another lock-up). It originally started as an anonymous person wrote me in/volunteered me to help raise money (I can volunteer people as well) and you get a phone call to say you are being "locked up"on a certain date and you need to call upon family friends etc to "bail you out" (which I think "bail" or the goal is $1,6000.) I said, "what the heck, I'll do it!" I don't like to "Cold Call" family & friends so I rely E-mails & Facebooks/MySpaces to get the word out. This method seems to work well as I actually raised more money this year than last though still not making to the noted goal amount. Either way, I am happy to donate whatever money I can (which is better than nothing) And now since I've done this in the past, I am automatically elected to help out for the next year (at least this is what I am to believe). I am looking forward to beating my goal in 2010!

For more information about the MDA & Jerry's Kids, go to http://www.mda.org/


I also wanted to make note that they also have an ALS division. I stress on this as my aunt was diagnosed with ALS earlier this year. This is also a program I would like to donate to as well.

What is ALS? (From the Website)

Definition -
A disease of the motor neurons, muscle-controlling nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that control voluntary muscle movement.
Cause
- generally unknown, although genetic factors are thought to play a role; about 10 percent of cases are clearly genetic, with a family history
Onset
-usually adulthood
Symptoms
- generalized weakness and muscle wasting with cramps and muscle twitches common
Progression
- ALS first affects legs, arms and/or throat and mouth muscles but ultimately affects all voluntary muscles, resulting in paralysis. Usually progresses rapidly with 3- to 5-year average survival.
Inheritance
- primarily sporadic, but can be autosomal dominant and, in very rare cases, autosomal recessive

2 comments:

  1. I have also supported/donated to other charities such as March of Dimes & Children's Miracle Network

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLEASE NOTE: BENEFIT FOR MY AUNT JUDY BOHN
    SUNDAY, MARCH 20,2010 FROM 2-10P @ THE WWII BUILDING IN WAUTOMA (CORNER OF 21 & 73)-INCLUDES, DANCE, BAKE SALE AND SILENT AUCTION.
    PLEASE MAKE ANY CONTRIBUTIONS TO:
    PO BOX 300
    NESHKORO, WI 54960-0300

    ReplyDelete